LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.06.01 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jun 1 22:07:15 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.JUN.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: mathieu at brabants.org <mathieu at brabants.org>
Subject: LL-L 'Language varieties'

Roger Hondshoven wrote:

> I agree that 'gooien' is the word most often used in the General Dutch
> variety in Belgium. To my mind, 'werpen' sounds rather stif and archaic.
> In Flemish dialects, however, 'werpen' is, next to 'smijten',  is the
> normal word.

>> <werpen> vs <gooien>
>>
>> I guess here gooien is your Flemish variant?

No, 'gooien' is much more common in the Netherlands than 'werpen.

So, appearently the werpen-gooien example is no good; in both the
Netherlands and Belgium people most often use 'gooien' when speaking
standard Dutch. 'Werpen' is a little bit archaic in both countries.

Regards,
Mathieu