LL-L "Administrativia" 2005.05.02 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jun 2 20:26:47 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.JUN.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Administrativia" 2005.05.02 (03) [E]

Believe it or not, there are actually people who read everything,
even "administrativa".
So I noticed:

>   Netherlands (Nederland):
>        Fryslân (Friesland):
>             Easterwâlde (Oosterwolde) [1]

Ron, Oosterwolde is NOT in Fryslân but in Frieslaand! And it cannot be
called Easterwâlde! Why, what the bleep am I talking about...
Well, Oosterwolde is in the Low Saxon speaking Stellingwerven, the Eastern
part of the province of Friesland in the Netherlands, and the worst thing
one can do to Stellingwarvers is call them Frisian and give them Frisian
names. Stellingwarvers don't have just Standard Dutch, but also Frisian
to "fight". I learned that from my good friend Johan Veenstra, the most
important temporary Stellingwarver poet and novellist, and of course the
translator of the Wren at the A-site.
Maybe you think what a fuzz about nothing, but this is a matter at least
as sensitive as Low Saxon versus German...

Ingmar

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativia

Hi, Ingmar!

> Believe it or not, there are actually people who read everything,
> even "administrativa".

Excuse me?!  Are you trying to imply that it is not must-read?  I should
hope not, young man.  After all, there could be a pop-quiz any minute.  And
then what would you do if you hadn't read it?

> Ron, Oosterwolde is NOT in Fryslân but in Frieslaand!

Oh, but it's in Fryslân all right, given that that is now the official and
only name of the province, as I have been told many times, no matter if some
refer to it as "Friesland" and "Frieslaand."

OK, so it's ...

   Netherlands (Nederland):
       Fryslân (Frieslaand, Friesland):
             Oosterwolde/Easterwâlde/Oosterwoude [1]