LL-L "Grammar" 2005.05.07 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jun 7 14:30:08 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.JUN.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Kevin Caldwell <kcaldwell31 at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2005.06.06 (08) [E]

> From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
> Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.06.06 (05) [E]
>
> Kevin Caldwell wrote:
> > I'm barely over 40, and I'd say the loss of "whom", at least in America,
> > extends well into the over-40 generation.
>
> Sometimes I wish it were so; in the computer game I am currently
> translating, I came across this sentence today:
>
> "Whomever locked that box obviously didn't want it opened again".
>
> Ouch!
> Gabriele Kahn

Ah, well, obviously I was referring to the loss of the _correct_ usage of
"whom".

The only time it gets confusing is when what appears to be an object is
actually the subject of its own clause, as in, "Give that to whoever wants
it," where "whoever" is the subject of "wants" and the entire clause is the
object of the preposition "to".

Kevin Caldwell

----------

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: Resources, Grammar

Dear Lowlanders,

Anu Garg, who runs the A Word Aday forum, published today a reprint of an
Article in the New York Times of May 31st.

Devoid of Content
http://nytimes.com/2005/05/31/opinion/31fish.html?ex=1275192000&en=5b9064f5bb67f352&ei=5090
by Stanley Fish, Dean Emeritus of the University of Illinois. In it he Dr.
Fish te;;s us how he teaches grammar and syntax to students in a writing
course.

I was very taken with the article and think that many of you will also like
it. This includes Elsie Zinsser, who apparently is also a member of AWAD,
like I am.

If you have not yet discovered this delightful daily dose of linguaphile
wisdom do so at http://wordsmith.org/awad/subscribe.html

Met vriendelijke groeten aan iedereen. Jacqueline