LL-L "Phonology" 2005.05.08 (05) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jun 8 16:59:00 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.JUN.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2005.05.07 (08) [D/E]

Gary Taylor wrote:
"The problem is for English speakers that our /u:/ phoneme is currently in
the process of change. A very conservative pronunciation of /u:/ (as uttered
by the Queen for example) is indeed [u:], however more modern varieties tend
towards [y:] (except when it"s before an /l/ or /r/. This is the case in
Britain anyway..."

I thought the Queen's accent (and that of many in the aristocracy in
general) was in fact somewhat radical, because I understood it had undergone
a further vowel shift from RP. For example, 'house' is [hais] not RP [haus],
and the vowel in 'off' is the same as in RP 'door' where RP has simply [of].
Is this the case?

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.