LL-L "Pronomina" 2005.06.15 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jun 15 18:54:12 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.JUN.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Pronomina" 2005.05.15 (04) [E]

For Sandy, re: use of thee and you
I have not read enough Shakespeare to be sure. But it seems to me in
this piece that whenever the Ceasar or the Queen addresses Anthony they
use thee.
When somebody else does it is you. It seems to be sort of a formal form
of address in reverse. Is that possible? Even now some people use a more
formal speech than others. Jacqueline

----------

From: Þjóðríkr Þjóðreksson <didimasure at hotmail.com>

>Of course, you mustn't forget that however English may be taught in
>schools,
>forms of "thee", "thy", "thou" are still used in some places in
>England.
>
>Sandy

If I might ask, about where and how widespread is the use of them nowadays?
Any chance they will survive our generation?

d Masure
[Diederik]