LL-L "Resources" 2005.06.26 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jun 26 23:40:09 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.JUN.2005 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: Resources

Hi, Ron and others,

I wrote:

>> if You are lioving in Europe, please try to search at google.de:
>> "wikiplatt", in hyphens.

And- Ron, he answered:

> Why only people living in Europe, Jonny?  What do their places of
> residence
> have to do with the price of tea in China?
>
> Is there a connection I haven't made?

Well- I wasn't sure if You all, specially outside of Europe, would get the
same URL, with same informations. Because You're going different ways to
*google*.

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Jonny,

The beauty of the Web is that everyone who is on it gets equal access to all
public URLs all over the world, no matter where they are physically.  In
other words, we are all in the same domain, and this is why it can be an
international meeting place (much to the chagrin and alarm of some
countries' governments that do not want their "subjects" to be part of the
international community, where they are likely to get "dangerous" ideas from
those good-for-nothing foreigners with their subversive obsession with
freedom).

Google and other service providers have country- and area-specific
interfaces only as a matter of customer service, as "localization" that is
supposed to make it easier for certain people, linguistically and
"culturally."  However, all of us have access to all of those interfaces.  I
often use the German, Dutch, British, Australian, South African, Indian,
Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese and Latin American services of Google, Yahoo
and similar companies, in part out of curiosity and in part to get easier
access to pertinent news.

So, the nice thing is that we Lowlanders far and wide all have access to the
same resources.

P.S.:
List of Google's language choices (Wow!):
http://c.asselin.free.fr/french/googleworldwide.htm