LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.06.30 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
Thu Jun 30 20:37:21 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.JUN.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html
S=Scots Sh=Shetlandic V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeeuws)

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.06.29 (09) [E]

"isn't it?" (or more often "innit?") seems to be moving into mainstream
English, especially among the young and trendy.  It used to be an "ethnic"
thing, but in Nottingham I hear expressions like "Couldn't call - I lost
me phone innit?" from white youth all the time.