LL-L "Grammar" 2005.02.28 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Mar 1 00:22:24 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.FEB.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From:  jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Proverbs" 2005.02.28 (03) [E]

Sorry, to all of our list(en)ers,

Reinhard told it: there are lots of them.

'n poor meihr? Man- ick heff Bang, jem tau översetten! But- just and only
for "real" Lowlandic people, I fear. Strictly forbidden for women and
"Quiddjes" :-).

" Kanns' nix moken-
schittst in 't Bett, schittst in 't Looken!" (Unlösbarer Konflikt)

"Fiev Minüden schitt de Hund,
'n ennig' Keerl 'n halve Stünd."(erprobte Arbeitnehmer-Mentalität)

"Immen un Frouwenslüü' kanns ne anne Liin haulen." (Das weiss man spätestens
nach der zweiten gescheiterten Ehe)

"Eng,eng" say de Voss un' schuff dennen Eikoter (uut Ostpreussen).

"De hett siin wiesen Wind meihr in'n Moors as innen Kopp!" (Windbeutel)

"Kiek no achteruut, un' du weit 'st, wat van Vöörn komen deit!"
(Traditionsbewußtsein)

 Shameful greutens/sincerely

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From:  Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>

Hi Ron,

thanks for all those sayings; only, I beg to differ with a few translations:

> "Dei Sak hett 'n Haken," säd dei Heckt, don satt hei an de Angel fast.
> "There's a (hook =) snag here," said the hake as it got caught on the
> fishing line.
A "Hecht" is a pike (Esox lucius), not a hake (Merluccius merluccius).

> "Wenn dat hüüt man ierst Abend wier," säd Hans, "un morgen de Dach hen un
> oewermorgen de Sünn unner."
> "If only today were evening," said John, "and tomorrow daytime and the day
> after tomorrow sunset."
Methinks this should be:
"If only this were already tonight," said John, "and the day tomorrow were
over, and the sun had set on the day after tomorrow."

> "Mudder, Mudder, ik heff't all tau wat bröcht," sä' de Jung, don har hei
> Lüs'.
> "Mother, Mother! I've come up in the world," said the boy having lice.
More like: "Mother, Mother! I've already gained some assets!"

Don't mean to be picking nits (get it? get it?). But leaving the naughtiest
ones out cannot go unpunished!

Gabriele Kahn