LL-L "Grammar" 2005.03.01 (01) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Mar 1 15:45:56 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.MAR.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Rikus Kiers <kiersbv at tiscali.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.02.28 (03) [E]

Hoi Ingmar,

Ook dat heb ik op het Menso Alting College geleerd.
De engelsen zijn stipter dan wij: als het gebeuren nl het kopen van de
boeken voorbij is dan is dat over dus have bought.Wij nederlanders kochten
ze  gewoon.
Translation.
I learned that also at the Menso Alting College.I guess you visited another
school, as I remember from former making acquaintance to you.In my days
there used to be only one (christian ) school with HBS, MMS en Gymnasium in
Hoogeveen
The english people are more exact and look to the act or proces of buying.
When that is over they have bought the books.
Just to people who have english as a mother language: Is this explanation, I
never forgot after just about 43 Years  a right one? I learnt it if I
remember well from mrs Kip, we always called her mrs Hen. Does anybody from
the Hoogeveen Boys know if she is still alive?
Rikus Kiers

----------

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Idiomatica

Hi Ingmar and all

Putting my teacher's hat on... Ingmar, you were asking about the difference
between the present perfect 'I have been...' and the past simple 'I was...'

The present perfect always has something loosely to do with the present,
which is where it gets its name. It's used for:

Things which started in the past and have continued till the present: 'I've
lived in Berlin for 4 years'
(I'm still here)

Experiences (It's an experience from my life that I now have): 'I've been to
France'

With certain words such as 'already', 'just' and 'yet' (although in American
English the past simple can also be used here).

The past simple is used when talking about an action which is finished, with
no obvious connection to the present. So as soon as you say a time in the
past or the time is implied, then use the past simple, as we know we're
talking about something that's finished.

'I lived in Berlin for 4 years' - it's over - it implies I'm not there now.

'I went to France last year. It was beautiful. I went wine tasting.' The
time is known to be in the past from the first sentence, so we use the past
simple throughout.

When we use progressive (continuous / -ing) forms it implies an action
happening for a limited time around the tense that we're using.

'I sing in a choir' - something I do regularly and I don't intend to stop
'I'm singing in a choir' - I'm either doing it right now, or it's only for a
limited time - I probably won't be doing it for much longer.

'I've lived in Berlin for 4 years' - up until now - I'm still here, and it's
something that I don't intend
to change. 'I've been living in Berlin for 4 years' - it's still the time up
until now, but here I see it as a limited period of time - the sentence
implies I might be thinking about moving to somewhere else.

'The phone rang when the postman came' - here the postman came and
simultaneously, or immediately after the phone rang.
'The phone was ringing when the postman came' - the phone was ringing over a
(limited) period of time, and while it was ringing the postman came.

Hope this helps. If it's any consolation, I know a few non-native English
speakers whose accents are so good that people who don't know them think
they are English, and they still slip up on tenses. Although English is a
fairly easy language to learn at the start, it gets a lot more complex later
on. But saying this, most English speakers are so used to hearing non-native
speaker mistakes, that it doesn't really matter and we understand most
things anyway.

Gary