LL-L "Proverbs" 2005.03.01 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Mar 1 17:30:54 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.MAR.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Proverbs

Hi Ron and all

great list - made me laugh - but you picked on us 'Taylors' too often ;)

I read the:

""Every bit helps," said the gull and settled down on the ship that had run
aground."

Reminds me of one my Gran used to say

"Every little helps" said the old lady as she piddled in the sea...

We then just had to say "Every little helps" in my family and we'd start
laughing.

Gary

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Hi, Gary, Lowlanders!

I'm glad you enjoyed that.  Your Gran surprised me.  I didn't know that this
"genre" was known in the English-speaking world.  I'd be interested to know
if it's used elsewhere.  The formula: take an established proverb, change it
into a quotation and extend it in a humorous, even twisted way describing
the action of the speaker.

> great list - made me laugh - but you picked on us 'Taylors' too often ;)

Sorry.  That comes with the territory.  There are so many of you around
(also Schrader, Schröder, Schneider, Snyder, Snieder, Sznajder, Šnejder,
Krawec, Krawetz, Krawiec, Krautz, Krauc, Partnoy, Portnoy, etc. ... not to
mention Tailor and Taylor).

You'd better not associate too much with the actual tailor, despite your
name, because he gets a bad rap in proverbs and folktales, being synonymous
with "wuzz," "would-be hero," etc.  ;-)

Cheers!