LL-L "Introduction" 2005.03.07 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Mar 7 19:44:04 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.MAR.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From:  "Steven A Avey" <saavey at ra.rockwell.com>
Subject:  Dag! New member

 Goeie dag!

My name is Steve Avey and I just joined Lowlands-L yesterday. I'm already
learning so much more about the lowland languages after just one day of
reading the postings! I live in Cape Coral, Florida (we're still cleaning up
after Charlie!). I grew up in Los Angeles, California, and I am bilingual in
English and Spanish. I was first smitten with love for the Dutch language
when I was a high school student some thirty years ago (yikes, has it been
that long?!) after making friends with some Dutch exchange students. I had
studied some German at that time and was fascinated by the "bridge" that
Dutch appeared to be between German and English. Contrary to how most
Americans feel about "guttural" languages, I reveled in the wonderful
gutturals of Dutch. I slowly learned enough Dutch to hold a basic
conversation. Later, I became a serious student of the language, although I
have never had the opportunity to study it in a formal, academic setting. I
understand and read Dutch pretty well, but speaking fluently and writing
correctly are not my strong points, unfortunately. A couple of years after I
started learning Dutch, I came across a little book with the title "Teach
Yourself Afrikaans". Always interested in languages, I picked up the book
and was fascinated! Here was a language very similar to Dutch, yet
simplified in certain respects even more than English. I avidly studied on
my own and ordered the Linguaphone Afrikaans course. At that time, there was
little to no learning materials in Afrikaans available in the U.S. Because
of my interest in both Dutch and Afrikaans, I started to study the culture
and history of the Netherlands and South Africa. With the advent of the
Internet, I know enjoy unfettered access to learning and reading material in
Dutch. Afrikaans certainly is present on the Internet, however not to the
extent that Dutch is. But I take solace in being able to read Die Beeld and
Die Burger online, and I am thrilled to be able to purchase Afrikaans
literature online directly from South Africa.

I currently work as a English to Spanish translator at a large automation
company.

I'm sure I've written more than anyone really wants to know about me, but I
did want to introduce myself. I am looking forward to the discussions and
hope to be able to contribute as the subject matter permits.

Thanks! Bedank! Baie dankie!

Steve Avey

----------

From: Jarley Jr. <jarleyjr at yahoo.com.br>
Subject: introducing myself

Hi!
My name is Jarley Nunes Frieb Jr., I am from Rio de Janeiro - Brasil, 37
years old and a pre-school teacher. I studied 9 years of english (a long
time ago, as you can see...).
I found this list on the web, just a few weeks after I come from a travel
who  was much important to me: I spent one week in a city named Santa
Leopoldina, in the Espírito Santo State. My grandfather's grandfa arrived
there around 1852, coming from Schoenau. So, my surname should be Friebe,
not Frieb, but the register didn't noticed it when my father was born (we
have the same name, mine has a "Junior" added).
The good news? in Santa Leopoldina I found some people who still speaks a
variant of  Low Saxon - the pommersch dialect. In a city very close to Santa
Leopoldina, Santa Maria de Jetibá, I heard people talking using this
dialect, and I contacted the Education Secretary there, in order to get more
information about it, as I was told by a person... that they are teaching it
at school! what a great thing! I am still waiting for their answer, and I
asked information about which material they are using to teach it, as they
use it basically for oral communication, the dialect, as I know, is not
written... Does anybody knows if this is really true?
Well, I've written a lot. I am sure i will learn a lot here, and maybe share
some knowledge too!
Thank you very much.

----------

From:  R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Introduction

Welcome, Steve and Jarley!

What a splendid treat to get more than one introduction in one day, and such
nice introductions to boot!  Thank you so very much!  I am sure I speak for
everyone when I say we are delighted you have joined us and that we will do
our best to make you feel at home among us.

You may or may not be aware that beginning next month Lowlands-L will
celebrate its 10th anniversary and that we are in the middle of preparing a
special celebratory website.  As a part of it we collect personal
introductions of members, "old" members (some of them with us for the entire
time!) as well as newbies.  Yes, your intro would be most welcome even if
you joined only today.  In fact, your introductions would lend themselves
admirably to the collection.  If you are willing to "donate" them for that
purpose, please write to me personally (sassisch at yahoo.com)* and let me
know.  If you could send pictures of yourselves with it, you'd earn extra
brownie points.  By the way, this goes for everyone on the List.  Oh, and
thanks for the intros, pictures and translations I received today!

[* Please do not send posting submissions to my personal address; send them
lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org.]

Jarley, just a note about what belongs under a different discussion title.
I am personally *very* interested in the Low Saxon (Low German) language
still used in Santa Leopoldina and elsewhere in Brazil.  I would be thrilled
if you could help us get some information and even get in touch with those
people.  I have tried for years to get contacts with such communities in
Brazil.  I came close several times, but it always fizzled out t the end.
If there is an association, I would be very interested in adding its address
and information to my world "register"
(http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/low-saxon/plattewelt.htm).

Thanks again, Steve and Jarley!

Regards,

Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
http://www.lowlands-l.net

Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l") are  to be
sent to
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or at