LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.03.07 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Mar 8 00:23:01 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.MAR.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Szelog, Mike <Mike.Szelog at citizensbank.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Hi Ron and all -

Spoke with an Arabic speaking colleague and he has agreed to try and do an
Egyptian Arabic version of the Wren. Will keep you posted.

Also trying to get either a Mi'kmaq, Abenaki or Passamoquoddy version of it.
Not sure I'll have any luck with this or not.

Mike S

----------

From:  R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thank you so much, Mike!  Let it me mentioned that you've been one of the
top procurers of translations.

Would you ask your Arabic-speaking contact to provide vowel punctuation, if
not word-processed then added by hand?  This would make transliteration much
easier.

It would be nice to get North American indigenous representation, in part
because North American languages are among the ones that have had Lowlands
contacts longest.  I've done some "begging" myself, but so far there hasn't
been any result, only in Latin America.  In my experience it is easier to
initiate participation if you appeal to the actual speakers (as in the case
of our delightful Maori translator) or their offspring, while going through
academic institutions and individual academics, especially non-native
academics, rarely yields any positive results.  (I am not sure why this is,
but after over twenty years of dealing with that, especially in Alaska, I've
come to suspect some type of territorialism.)

Today has been a fairly good day as far as anniversary contributions go.
Keep it up, folks!  This includes personal introductions.  Let me emphasize
that, although none of the writers was able to compare their intros with
those of others, not a single one is in any way inappropriate; they are all
terrific and let the various personalities shine through most gloriously.
Unfortunately, so far there is only under ten percent female participation.
How about doing something for gender balance here, precious Lowlands
Sisters?

Cheers!

Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l") are  to be
sent to
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or at