LL-L "Holidays" 2005.03.08 (01) [E/LS/S]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Mar 8 15:57:40 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.MAR.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2005.03.07 (10) [E]

Ron wrote:
> Perhaps we should make tomorrow (already today for many of you) a special
> day on which we try to focus on matters concerning girls and women.  Some
> literature bits would be nice, or feminine treatment in grammar, and
> anything of the sort.  No, it doesn't all have to be serious.

Well, I appreciate the sentiment (although personally, I don't much identify
with a "female" role, and say to hell with all artificial gender
differences). Only, forgive me for saying so, the poems and songs you posted
(although they include one of my favourites which I have posted here before,
"De junge Wetfru") all focus on a traditional woman's role as a mother
and/or wife, which seems a bit... well, counterproductive.

So let me add a song written by Judy Small (who is Australian, I believe);
there are some beautiful recordings by the Corries, the McCalamans, and
others.

MOTHERS, DAUGHTERS, WIVES

Chorus:
The first time it was fathers the last time it was sons
And in between your husbands marched away with drums and guns
And you never thought to question you just went on with your lives
'Cause all they'd taught you who to be was mothers, daughters, wives

You can only just remember the tears your mothers shed
As they sat and read the papers through the lists and lists of dead
And the gold frames held the photographs that mothers kissed each night
And the doorframes held the shocked and silent strangers from the fight

Chorus

And it was twenty-one years later with children of your own
The trumpet sounded once again and the soldier boys were gone
And you drove their trucks and made their guns and tended to their wounds
And at night you kissed their photographs and prayed for safe returns

And after it was over you had to learn again
To be just wives and mothers when you'd done the work of men
So you worked to help the needy and you never trod on toes
And the photos on the pianos struck a happy family pose

Chorus

Then your daughters grew to women and your little boys to men
And you prayed that you were dreaming when the call-up came again
But you proudly smiled and held your tears as they bravely waved goodbye
But the photos on the mantelpieces always made you cry

And now you're growing older and in time the photos fade
And in widowhood you sit back and reflect on the parade
Of the passing of your memories as your daughters change their lives
Seeing more to our existence than just mothers, daughters, wives

Chorus

...and you believed them when they said you were just mothers daughters
wives

After that, let me add that I actually applied for a manager job in language
services at a big industrial company last year and was told by the personnel
manager: "Thank you for your application, but we have enough gentlemen to
choose from."

Methinks a whole lot more is needed than just one "World Women's Day" a
year. In most heads, men and women are still seen as different species. And
frankly, most women don't help much to change that view. The most scary
thing is that it's their own mothers and grandmothers who taught them to be
"women", with all the restrictions and implications..

Gabriele Kahn