LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.03.11 (06) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Mar 11 20:42:40 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.MAR.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2005.03.11 (03) [E]

Hey Ben,

"Me go nyam sweet-dem" is almost identical with Sranan Tongo
"Mi go nyan den switi" = I'm going to eat the sweet (thing)s;
(Usually that will become: "M'o nyan den switi).

Althoug geographically Suriname doesn't belong to the Caribbean but to the
Guyanas, South America, culturally and linguistically it does.

Ingmar

----------

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: Language variety

Read today on the USA Today website,
Regards,
Roger

McDonald's may outsource drive-thru order-taking
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - McDonald's wants to outsource your neighborhood
drive-thru.
The world's largest fast-food chain said Thursday that it is looking into
using remote call centers to take customer orders in an effort to improve
service at its drive-thrus.

Company officials said the idea, being tested at a small number of
restaurants in the Pacific Northwest, is aimed at reducing the number of
mistakes.

"If you're in L.A.... and you hear a person with a North Dakota accent
taking your order, you'll know what we're up to," McDonald's Chief Executive
Jim Skinner told analysts at the Bear Stearns Retail, Restaurants & Apparel
Conference in New York.

Call center professionals with "very strong communication skills" could help
boost order accuracy and ultimately speed up the time it takes customers to
get in and out of the drive-thrus, the company said.

"You have a professional order taker with strong communications skills whose
job is to do nothing but take down orders," said Matthew Paull, McDonald's
chief financial officer.

Paull said a "heavy percentage" of complaints the company receives are from
drive-thru customers who got the wrong order.

"Even if 95% of the time it is right, those 5% are very upset with us," he
said.

McDonald's spokeswoman Anna Rozenich said Friday that it is too early to say
whether the outsourcing strategy would be implemented systemwide.

----------

From: Steven A Avey <saavey at ra.rockwell.com>
Subject: LL-L "Introduction" 2005.03.07 (06) [A]

Mark het geskryf:

"Al te lekker om nog 'n Afrikaanssprekende op L-Lowlands te ontmoet!"

Baie dankie vir die hartlike welkom, Mark!

"Wat, byvoorbeeld, het u mees geprikkel met eerste gesig van ons Taal,..."

Ek sal my uiterste bes doen om my gedagtes op Afrikaans uit te druk. Vir my
was die eenvoud van Afrikaanse spelling (vergelyke met Nederlands en Engels)
taamlik interessant. Verder het ek die ontwikkelikng van die taal baie
boeiend gevind. Dis 'n taal wat baie bydrae van andere tale aangeneem het en
daarin sien ek sy vermoë om die unieke kultuur van Suid-Afrika te
kommunikeer. En die mooie geluid van gesproke Afrikaans is ook nie te
vergeet nie!

"...en wat prikkel nog na jare se ondervinding?"

Wat prikkel my nou is die oorlewing van die taal. Ek lees dikwels in
Afrikaanse koerante artikels wat die taal gou ter dood veroordeel! Is die
toestand van Afrikaans vandaag so swak? Ek is nie in Suid-Afrika nie en dus
kan ek nie die taalsituasie persoonlik goed waarneem nie. Ek hoop daar is
geen moontlikheid van die uitsterwing van Afrikaans nie!

"Sê nou, het u in ons digkunde beginne wandel?"

Ongelukkig moet ek toegee ek het nog geen Afrikaanse digkunde gelees nie. Ek
het 'n bietjie prosa gelees en ek het hom al te lekker gevind! Kan jy
miskien 'n paar goeie Afrikaanse digters aanbeveel?

Dankie!
Groete
Steve

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Folks,

I know that the Burgher language of Sri Lanka (Ceylon) is classified as a
Portuguese-based creole, but I wonder if it contains a "Dutch" (Zeelandic?)
stratum, based on the name and on the fact that Sri Lanka had a Dutch colony
before it had a Portuguese one.  I used to know a Sri Lankan woman whose
family considers itself Dutch, not based on recent contacts but on old ones.
She told me that these days they use Sri Lankan English as their main
language and that it has many Portuguese and Dutch elements.  Does anyone
know more about this?

Thanks in advance.

I found a bit of information about the Burghers:

History:
http://www.lankalibrary.com/geo/dutch.htm

Statistics:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Styx/6497/ceyDtab.jpg