LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.03.12 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Mar 12 18:42:04 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.MAR.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: James Campbell <james at zolid.com>
Subject: L-L "Anniversary" 2005.03.10 (08) [D/E/Middelsprake]

Gabriele eskrë »

> Other artificial languages? Oh goody. Pray tell!!
>
> By the way, you must surely be aware that this is how Tolkien started out.
> So when are you going to write that epos that involves an illustrious
> group
> of Lowlanders speaking Middlesprake, completely with ballads, sagas and
> other tales of heroism?

You shouldn't make such rash invitations. It'll only encourage me to blather
on about *my* conlang, Jameld, a mutant West Germanic tongue. Its fictional
origins are in pre-Old Frisian, but after protracted migrations the supposed
location for its modern speakers in northern Alsace has resulted in
influences from High German and French. Jameld is not intended as a lingua
franca, nor do I take it particularly seriously, but it has matured to the
extent that after over 20 years it now has its own distinctive character.
Samples are available at my website, www.zolid.com/zm, and (since you
mentioned sagas above, Gabriele) I direct you to The Saga of Jorthel, which
is presented in a bilingual side-by-side format (and I'm sure there's a good
name for that, but I can't recall it).

I'm working on a Jameld version of The Wren, hence my request for info about
dialectal names for the bird. Thanks for your comment, Ron, but does anyone
else have any info on Frisian names? There are only 2 Frisian versions of
the tale on the site...

Amongst my other projects are (or have been) the apparently-first-ever North
Slavic conlang, Sevorian, and my Mediterranean Germanic conlang, Cobrœxu
(Capraian).

James

James Campbell                              james at zolid.com  www.zolid.com
Boring, but a cool boring.