LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.03.23 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 23 18:26:56 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.MAR.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.03.22 (03) [E]

Dear Ingmar and Ron,

thanks for Your answers on:

> Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.03.21 (01) [E]
> QUOTE:
> ...all these Saxons and Frisians
> running about the northern world prior to the year 775 could understand
> each
> other very well.
> END QUOTE

Greutens/sincerely

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.03.22 (07) [E]

>>From childhood onward - does that mean that in Britain it's "common
knowledge" that English and Frisian are supposedly closely related?
Is it taught at school as a fact, for instance? Is anything taught about
the other Germanic languages? Here in the Netherlands we don't learn
anything about the history or relationships of our languages, but it's
obvious enough to everyone that German and English are related languages.
At secondary school, everyone has to learn a few years of English and
German (and French) as foreign languages, besides Dutch of course and
Frisian in the province of Friesland. At History class we are taught about
our ancestors the Frisians (in the North & West)), the Saxons (East &
North East) and the Franks (South), so there is some common knowledge
about this kind of things anyway. Although the facts would tell us e.g.
that in the Eastern Netherlands, where Low Saxon dialects are spoken
nowadays, no Saxons but Chamavian (Hamaland) Franks dwelled in the old
days... The Homeland of the Salii (Salian Franks) that conquered and
founded France was Salland, in the province of Overijssel, which in
present days is completely Low Saxon territory.

I can imagen your disappointment about modern Frisian. Old Frisian texts
are still pretty close to Old English ones. But Modern Frisian was proven
to be even closer to Standard (Holland) Dutch than the Low Saxon dialects
in the North and Eastern Netherlands are. Many Frisians don't believe that
and dislike this facts, because their language was recognized way earlier
as a seperate language than Low Saxon, and still has more juridical
rights.
Ingmar