LL-L "Grammar" 2005.03.27 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Mar 27 20:02:47 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.MAR.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html
S=Scots Sh=Shetlandic V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeeuuws)

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2005.03.26 (03) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2005.03.25 (04) [E]<

The advice in the latest UK  National Literacy Strategy Glossary is that
BOTH singular and plural are permissable with collectives.

That having been said - the cattle are ...............  never 'is'
Head of cattle    never heads of cattle

But I must admit to liking the new move to allow either, as I think it adds
to the meaning.

i.e. The Government is ........ (united)    The Government are ..... (split
on this issue)

The team has played well                    The team were all over the
place

The group has come up with a unanimous decision     The group have not been
able to make up its mind

What do you think?

Heather