LL-L "History" 2005.05.03 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue May 3 14:38:43 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.MAY.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2005.05.02 (05) [E]

Dag Pat

I don't know an economic historian about this - in fact, I don't know any
economic historian, unlike you, I haven't been enlightened yet on this
subject.
But I suspect it may have to do something with religion. First of all, the
Calvinist protestants were very industrious and thrifty, what can yield a
lot of money. But more important may have been the enormous immigration of
Calvinists into the Northern Netherlands (i.e the present day country the
Netherlands) from the South - i.e what is now Dutch speaking Belgium:
Flandria & Brabant. In Holland and Zeeland, almost half of the population
in cities like Leiden, Middelburg and many others, were protestant
immigrants from the South, including French Huguenots, fleeing for the
Roman Catholic inquisition in their Spanish occupied homelands.
And many of those were rich. Before that, the economic main area was
Flandria/Brabant, but this shifted complety to Holland.

But maybe other Dutch or Belgium lllisters know more about this, and can
answer your question better?

Ingmar