LL-L "Etymology" 2005.05.04 (08) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed May 4 21:48:23 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.MAY.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at saxnot.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.05.04 (02) [A/E]

Lowlands-L wrote:

> From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.30 (04) [E/LS]
>
> Jonny wrote:
>
>> LS: 'Hellboessen', in the meaning of 'Xanthippa'.
>>
> This would be the same as the Dutch word "helleveeg" for a truly nasty
> woman/wife ("boessen" being a broom, and "veeg" meaning "sweep"). So maybe
> it's a loan from Dutch and that's where the "e" comes from.

If "boessen" is a broom, then perhaps Jonny means what we call a
"huylbessem", or a "gölbessem", ie. a "screaming broom", a vacuum cleaner.

Henry

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

> If "boessen" is a broom, then perhaps Jonny means what we call a
> "huylbessem", or a "gölbessem", ie. a "screaming broom", a vacuum cleaner.

Moyen, Henry!

On the _Pruyssen_ side we say that too: _huul-bessem_ ['hu:lbEs=m] ~
_huul-bessen_ ['hu:lbEs=n] "howl broom" for 'vacuum cleaner'.  It's one of
those humorous neologisms, like _kloen-kassen_ "chatting box" for
'telephone', and _puuschen-kyno_ "slipper cinema" for 'television'.

German _Besen_ "broom" is commonly used to denote what in English is the
"b-word" in reference to women, most commonly a nagging, scolding wife.  It
hails back to them olden days when women were supposed to stay at home,
listen and serve only.

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.05.03 (11) [A/E]

Beste Arthur en Paul:

Onderwerp: Etymology

Dankie vir u inset, Arthur, en ek waardeer u opmerkings oor die Taal. Dis
nie om trots nie, maar om medebelangstelling dat ek saamstem. Ek reken saam
met u dat die Gote al klaar teen daardie tyd onder die Christene invloed
enige ander sin van die woord verloor het.

Ja Paul, Daar is 'n klein bewone bergvallei by name 'Hel' hier in ons
Noordwes Kaap, maar die naam dra in bitter erns die Christene konsep oor,
veral in die daë toe dit eers genoem is, want to is dit die Hel om te
bereik, die Hel om daarin te woon, en die Hel om uit te trek!

Thank you for your input, Arthur, & I appreciate your remarks on the
Language. It's not from pride, but fellowly interest that I agree. I reckon
with you that the Goths already by that time, under Christian influence, had
lost any other meaning of the word.

Yes, Paul, there is a small inhabited mountain-valley by the name of 'Hell'
here in our Northwestern Cape, but the name carries across in bitter earnest
the Christian concept, particularly in the days when it was first named,
because it was the Hell to reach, the Hell to live there, & the Hell to get
out!

Die Uwe,
Mark

----------

From: Þjóðríkr Þjóðreksson <didimasure at hotmail.com>

>From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
>Subject: LL "Etymology" 2005.05.03 (11) [A]
>
>Haai almal,
>
>Paul skryf: "Ek dink daar is ook 'n dorpie in Nordwes Kaapse
>provinsie in
>Suid Afrika by name Hel".
>
>Nee, die baie warm en geharde dorpie is nie in die Noordwes Kaap
>nie, maar
>in die Oos Kaap naby Prince Albert.
>
>Groete,
>van Elsie Zinsser uit 'n koelerige Johannesburg.

In Norway you have a village called "Hel" as well, but I guess it's of
different origin. My guest-family during my trip told it referred to the
steep cliffs. Thus it would be related to Dutch helling and the verb hellen.

Diederik Masure (Antwerpen)

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

Elsie Skryf:

"Haai almal,

Paul skryf: "Ek dink daar is ook 'n dorpie in Nordwes Kaapse provinsie in
Suid Afrika by name Hel".

Nee, die baie warm en geharde dorpie is nie in die Noordwes Kaap nie, maar
in die Oos Kaap naby Prince Albert.

Groete,
van Elsie Zinsser uit 'n koelerige Johannesburg."

Dankie Elsie, dit is meer as 25 jaar sedert ek in Suid Afrika gewoon het!
Paul