LL-L "Etymology" 2005.05.06 (01) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri May 6 17:16:04 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.MAY.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.05.05 (02) [E]

Theo wrote:
> Gabriele,
>
> Did they ever call you "een helleveeg" .
> I don't guess so. Right is that this word only is used
> for women. And right is: "veeg" meaning "sweep".
>
> But -alas- not in this word. There is an other word
> 'veeg' [with very old roots] meaning: 'going to die'.
> The same word we have in the expression: het vege lijf
> redden.
> So in 'helleveeg' you not only wishes someone to die,
> but also going to hel. [original meaning of 'hel'
> being 'hiding-place'].

Thanks for the explanation. And thanks for your high opinion, but as a
matter of fact, I seem to remember having been called a "helleveeg", besides
other things, by my Dutch ex-husband... ;-)

So is there anything similar to this meaning of "veeg" in other Lowlands
languages?

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.05.06

Haai almal,

'Helleveeg' is ook bekend in Afrikaans en waarskynlik uit Nederlands.

Ron, die Duitse _Fegefeuer_ 'purgatory' is ook in Afrikaans as 'vaevuur'
bekend.

Dalk is die herkoms betekenis van Fege/veeg/vae  'verdoem'/verdammen'?

Groete,
Elsie

From: Ben Bloomgren <ben.bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject: Etymology

Hi, all, is there any relationship between Dutch "bos" and Spanish "bosque"
pronounced boskay?
Ben