LL-L "Language usage" 2005.05.07 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun May 8 06:57:55 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.MAY.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Kevin Caldwell <kcaldwell31 at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language usage" 2005.05.07 (01) [E]

Possibly the flag of Norden? See http://www.fotw.us/flags/xn_nordn.html

>>From that site:

"The flag of Norden is a (re)creation by people supporting the social and
cultural ties between, and the closer cooperation among, the Nordic
countries, taking as inspiration flag that may have been used as the flag
for the Union of Kalmar (1397-1521). The Union of Kalmar united under a
common king most of the territories presently belonging to the five Nordic
countries.

"Exactly when the idea of this flag was first launched in modern times, is
not known to me. The first trace of the idea that I have been able to
located is from 1979. The Norwegian vexillologist Atle Grahl-Madsen [mad79]
then raised the idea of a flag to emphasize the common ties of the Nordic
countries. He suggested a red cross on yellow as the natural choice and
pointed to references in two letters from King Erik of Pomerania, the first
union king under the Union of Kalmar, as historical references for the idea.
An additional reason for Grahl-Madsen to choose the red-yellow colour
combination, was that no flag of any other Nordic country used these
colours. According to Per Andersson, [and89] and [and92], the flag was first
hoisted in modern times on the occasion of the 900th anniversary
celebrations of the city of Helsingborg in 1985."

Kevin Caldwell