LL-L "Delectables" 2005.05.10 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue May 10 23:39:28 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.MAY.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Tom Mc Rae <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.05.10 (10) [E]

On 11/05/2005, heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>at 12:28 AM,
wrote:

   pastry only as a base so that the filling is open and gets

  browned/baked  in cooking

Maybe in the USA but not in Scotland at least, yet again two nations divided
by a common language.
Lovely individual sweet tarts with a pastry cover are commonly sold in scots
bakeries. In fact I've even seen them here in Brisbane supermarkets.

Regards

Tom Mc Rae

Brisbane Australia

Oh Wad Some Power the Giftie Gie Us

Tae See Oorsel's as Ithers See Us

Robert Burns

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Hi, Tom!

> Lovely individual sweet tarts with a pastry cover are commonly sold in
> scots bakeries. In fact I've even seen them here in Brisbane supermarkets.

I've seen them, apparently freshly made, not far across the Canadian border,
in a Scottish bakery at the southern end of Vancouver, British Columbia.
Someone told me you can get them here in Seattle as well, in some
Irish/Scottish shop or other, but I don't know where that is.

Heather:

>  A tart uses pastry only as a base so that the filling is open and gets
> browned/baked  in cooking

Kevin:

> Every apple pie I've ever had had both a top crust and a bottom crust.
> Fruit pies with top crust only and baked in a deep dish are called
> cobblers.

What Heather talked about reminds me of American cobbler, though cobblers
usually don't have a neat crust on top but a somewhat lighter, more
cake-like affair.  You spoon the dough onto the fruit (which typically is
peach or apple) in a "casual" fashion, and the dough globs spread out during
the baking process.

"Cobbler" is also the name of a drink, a sort of punch.

P.S.: Looks like we've just about covered the pastry part of our Marsha's
wedding buffet.