LL-L "Delectables" 2005.05.12 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu May 12 21:33:32 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.MAY.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Delectables" [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Delectables
>
> Hi, Tom!
>
> > sandwiches made with Talc (I think that's the spelling?),
>
> I think you mean "tallow" (Low Saxon _tallig_ ['talIC] ~ _talg_ [talC] ~
> [talx], Eastern Friesland LS _ungel_, _German _Talg_), in cooking contexts
> "suet" in English.  Mutton suet is what's traditionally used in
> plumpudding.
> My mother only used it when cooking certain cabbage dishes and mashed
> rutabagas (suedes), and I thought that was disgusting enough, especially
> once the dishes cooled off.  But on sandwiches?!  Cold?!

That sounds strange to me. At least, beef suet is great for suet dumplings
as an accompaniment to that classic Scottish dish, "Mince and tatties"!

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: Larry Granberg <nibwit at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.05.12 (01) [E]

Hey all,
OK, cobblers are made with a sweetened and very rich biscuit dough (biscuit
as in non yeast bread) made either by spooning out small portions of dough
rough and tumble like, or rolling out a bit more substantial sweet rich
dough, cutting circles, squares or what have you and laying neatly on-top of
a fruit mix.
Anything savory (at least in the U.S. and Canada) like a stew, the biscuits
are called "dumplings". Although I did have a "cottage pie" that had a sort
of biscuit top on minced meat and mushrooms and cabbage in gravy when I was
in Merry Olde. It was very thin and seemed to be patted or rolled out.
Emphatically not a pastry top tho....
Any kind of fruit or fruit mixture can be used for a cobbler. Most popular
choices for fruit are either peaches or mixed berry. I like apple myself.
So, says I, looks like a great time to give out a recipe.

Apple Brandy Cobbler

About 5 cups of tart apple slices
3/4 cup sugar, or you can use same measure 1/2 white and brown
2 tbs. flour
as much cinnamon, nutmeg, and a bit of ground ginger  as you like, up to 1
tsp. (I add more)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. of either vanilla or almond extract
2 tbl. softened butter.
1/2 cup brandy or calvados (for non colonial types, same measure half
water - brandy, or all water)

for batter:
3/4 cup flour, sifted
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. and a pinch of baking powder
1/4 tsp.salt
2 tbs. softened butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 (maybe 3) tbs. buttermilk

for fruit:
toss fruit in a bowl and dump into a smallish casserole or 9" square pan
dot with the softened butter

for biscuit:
everything in a bowl and stir with a (wooden to be authentic) spoon until
smooth. Drop batter in 9 or 10 portions over the top of the fruit trying to
space portions evenly - biscuit will spread as it bakes. Bake in a preheated
375° oven for about 40 mins. or until apples are tender and the biscuit is
golden brown. Fantastic with cream.

Now as far as flapjacks being a solely North American thing.....Shakespeare
wrote of flapjacks in Perecles (Pericles?), Prince of Tyre. Act 2, Scene
1.........................
First Fish. Die, quoth-a? Now, gods forbid! I have a gown here; come, put it
on; keep thee warm. Now, afore me, a handsome fellow! Come, thou shalt go
home, and we'll have flesh for holidays, fish for fasting-days, and moreo'er
puddings and flap-jacks; and thou shalt be welcome.

That same old North Country song got turned 'round in the States where the
question is
"Can she bake a cherry pie, Billy Boy, Billy Boy?", but all this time I
thought that the original was Irish, and that it dates from around the War
of 1812 (ah the perils of being a bargain basement tenor in a folk troupe
years ago....)

Well take care all -
Larry

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks, Larry.  But what about those slumps, buckles and grunts you
mentioned?  I do know slumps, but ...  Or was that just teasing?

Cheers!