LL-L "Nuptials" 2005.05.12 (09) [E/S]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu May 12 21:36:59 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.MAY.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Nuptials" [E]

> From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
> Subject: LL-L "Nuptials" 2005.05.10 (05) [E/LS]
>
> And then, of course, there's the traditional Scottish song "Mairi's
> Wedding" - feel free to replace "Mairi" with "Marsha". Can anyone imagine,
> by the way, why this is called an Irish song all over the Internet?

Folk songs in general do seem to get the label "Irish" all over the
Internet. This includes not only Scottish but also Australian and suchlike
folksongs. I think this is because most folksong sites are amateur rip-off
efforts by people who hardly look at what they're presenting, never mind
understanding what they're looking at!

Needless to say, the words are odd too. Here are my corrections (from
memory) - it's usually sung in a sort of highland Anglo-Scots where I'm
from.

NB "Mairi" is pronounced /'ma:rI/.

Chorus:
Step we gaily on we go, heel for heel and toe for toe,
Arm in arm and row on row, all for Mairi's wedding.

Ower the hills baith up and doun, myrtle green and bracken broon,
Past the shielings through the toun, all for sake o Mairi.
cho.

Red her cheeks as rowans are, bricht her ee as ony star,
Fairest o them all by far, that's oor darling Mairi!
cho.

Plenty herring, plenty meal, plenty peat tae fill her creel,
Plenty bonnie bairns as weel, that's the stuff for Mairi.
cho.

The last verse is a bit "oo-er missus", don't you think?  :)

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/