LL-L "Delectables" 2005.05.14 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun May 15 02:54:48 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.MAY.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: ARVID & CINDY HUISMAN <HUISMANIOWA at MSN.COM>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.05.14 (03) [E]

Hello, Lowlanders!

The mention of bacon drippings and treacle reminded me of my maternal
grandfather who came to Iowa from Weener, Germany, as a teenager. One of his
favorite breakfasts was dry (several day old) bread saturated with bacon
drippings and dark Karo (brand name) syrup, which apparently is not unlike
treacle.

As a youngster I heard my parents and grandparents frequently use (in East
Frisian Low German) the word "schmear" in the context of spreading butter on
bread or toast. What is the precise definition of "schmear?" Is it a verb as
well as a noun?

Nu ik heff schmacht!

Arvid Huisman
Ankeny, Iowa USA