LL-L "Delectables" 2005.05.16 (01) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon May 16 20:33:59 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.MAY.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Kevin Caldwell <kcaldwell31 at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.05.15 (04) [E/Yiddish]

> From: Ben J. Bloomgren <godsquad at cox.net>
> Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.05.14 (08) [E]
>
> English Smear
>
> >From where then does the term "smore" come? To us here in America, a
> smore
> is two Gram/graham crackers in the form of a sandwich with a Reece's
> chocolate and roasted marshmallows. Is there any crazy relation to Smear
> and
> Schmier?
> Ben

The only explanation I've ever heard for the origin of the word "smore" (and
sometimes it is written "s'more", which offers a clue in this direction), is
that after you've had one, you want "some more" -> "s'more".  I'm pretty
sure they originated as campfire treats in the Girl Scouts.

And, of course, my favorite variety of Girl Scout cookies is the Samoas,
which, I think, derive their name in the same way: "some more" -> "samoa".

Kevin Caldwell