LL-L "Language acquisition" 2005.05.17 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue May 17 21:29:12 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.MAY.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Clarkedavid8 at aol.com <Clarkedavid8 at aol.com>
Subject: Re: LL-L "Language politics" 2005.05.17 (06) [E]

Does English really have a "plethora of dialects" as opposed to a variety of
accents?

[David M.B. Clarke]

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language acquisition

David (above):

> Does English really have a "plethora of dialects" as opposed to a variety
> of accents?

Well, David, it's oodles at any rate, looking at Britain alone.

:-)

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language acquisition" 2005.05.17 (04) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>that I have a "rare dual talent" for both
languages and math/science/logic. I do believe that this is a myth, and
that everybody has, or can develop, both talents - if they are even that
different<

I have always counted  the best maths students among my best language
students and was always sad when at age 14 when moving into the exam
classes, many often found that to cover all 3 science and 2 maths papers,
they had to drop their languages: this was one situation that our much
despised National Curriculum actually rectified - except it did it at the
cost of losing all 3 sciences at 16 and instead offereing a double science.

I frequently use algebraic equations to reinforce sentenc structure. I am
sure there is a cognitive correlation between maths, algorithms, and
language ( perhaps also music???)

Heather

----------

From: Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2005.05.17 (06) [E]

It should be emphasised that resistance to the formation of a standard
variety is not due to the inadequacy of proposals but rather due to
reluctance to accept anything other than one's own dialect as
"standard".

For example, in Sardinia, Nuorese people see their dialect as
"standard", but so do Cagliaritans.

There is an official, unified, standard variety of Sardinian now, but
it is only official in the province of Nuoro (Nùgoro in Limba Sarda
Unificada, LSU), and across the whole island people have denounced it
repeatedly as a horrible corruption of the language, as impractical,
or being to close to one dialect or another (interestingly, a
Cagliaritan will say that it is too close to Nuorese because it was
invented in Nuoro, but a Nuorese will say it is too close to
Cagliaritan because it is the capital of Sardinia)

So far though, it seems like the only real option.

Mark

---------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language acquisition" 2005.05.16 (06) [E]

You're absolutely right, Global, about the hormones, mine were triggered
e.a. by beauties from Hawaii, France, Austria, Hungary, Indonesia, Angola,
Aruba, Bosnia, Suriname, Sierra Leone, Ethiopia, Russia and of course the
Netherlands.
But should we conclude here you were in love with all three of them
Bontekoe cabin-boys?