LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.20 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri May 20 18:21:05 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.MAY.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

> It's good to see for me maybe, because I've always had some reservations
> about English being called a Lowlands language, to be true, and with the
> fact it takes such an important place at this list. For me, Low Saxon,
> Dutch and also Frisian are the real *core* Lowlands languages, and e.g
> much more related (multiple intelligible) Modern German is excluded...

German *is* included, Ingmar, certainly its specific northern varieties,
just not _in toto_ as a Lowlands language.  It has two important strikes
against it: (1) it underwent certain unique changes that set it apart (which
is why some want to call it "Southern Germanic"), and (2) its original area
is outside the Lowlands.  It's a Johnny-come-lately in the Lowlands as well
as a catalyst for "de-Lowlandization" and thus alienation of Germany's
Lowlands varieties from their closest relatives.  If we included it we would
also have to include the North and East Germanic languages, forget about the
Lowlands and call ourselves Germanic-L, thus compete with many other lists.
English and Scots, on the other hand, descended predominantly from Lowlands
varieties.  We are not so much concerned about which varieties are mutually
more or less intelligible but about the Lowlands heritage, its common roots
and its diverse developments.

(I often suspect that it is the official exclusion of German as a core
language of this list that irks certain people in Germany, people who lack
the basic knowledge and think too nationalistically to get it.)