LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.21 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat May 21 19:15:24 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 21.MAY.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Þjóðríkr Þjóðreksson <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.20 (09) [E]

Very much thanks for the answer, Ingmar! µ
Over here there are also some people who say gij bent and bende gij,
probably because they want to imitate Standard Dutch. My sister says 'moog
jij' very seldomly, she always corrects it to 'mag jij' a second later but
still there seems to be some confusion among some people between the jij/gij
verbal forms.
I've also seen gij mag in some N.Br. dialect in an online text.

And you are right in your observation about the similarities to
Verkavelignsvlaams. As a native speaker of that variety I know it very well,
and except for the bende gij (where I invariably say zijde gij) I would
speak exactly the same! (It looks me a it improbable that this is Antwerpian
influence though.)
I really hope when I'll be studying in Amsterdam next year, that I'll have
some people from very much different dialects in my class, some from Brabant
as well. I wonder if they would, hearing me speak with my accent (which I'll
NO WAY be giving up for speaking St. Du. like I heard some Flemish students
over there), also start talking more with their native accent or not.

Diederik Masure