LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.24 (06) [E/LS/Patentplatt]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed May 25 00:26:06 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.MAY.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.23 (06) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>Rooted from German, just related close... hence the assosoation.<

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the other way round.

German in order to become German  went through the High German Sound Shift
: LS didn't - so it cannot be rooted FROM German as the latter only came
into being after it ...... or ?

Rooted in Germanic -- yes, I agree but not rooted in German.

Heather