LL-L "Music" 2005.05.25 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed May 25 17:15:13 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.MAY.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Thomas Byro <greenherring at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Music" 2005.05.24 (05) [E]

Lovely.  I remember when my friend Barry and friends were on our way
to go caving in West Virginia and we got a flat and Barry got out his
pipes while we were changing the tire and serenading the traffic while
we were changing the tire.  So many accidents were nearly averted
while we were changing the tire.  The haunting beauty of the music
will remain with me forever.

Tom Byro

------------

From: Larry Granberg <nibwit at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Music" 2005.05.24 (03) [E]

Hey Ron,
Where to start?
What format are you set up for? There are some great lps that have not been
re-issued on cd.
You may want to check out the following cds by piper Kathryn Tickell. On
Kielder Side, Back to the Hills, and lastly The Northumbrian Collection. On
Kielder Side was recorded back in 1984 while Ms. Tickel was still a
teenager. This recording has been re-issued several times including cut and
paste efforts by The Musical Heritage Society. Most of her efforts can be
found at Amazon. You can read more about her on her site as well as order
through there   www.kathryntickell.com
Another fine cd is The Wind in the Reeds -- The Northumbrian Smallpipes. You
can find this recording at Elderly Instruments, along with a few other
recordings.
Hey (theres that word again) Ron, check out sometime Rusyn-Slovak-Polish
Gajda/Gajdosh/Dudesh  style bagpipe music. The pipes can have no, one, two
drones or sometimes no drones but two chanters. Another instrument you may
want to check out is the Fujara which is similar to the bass three hole
flute that was played in the Lower Saxon areas but since died out.
Cool,  another connection    ; > )
Larry

----------

From: Dave Singleton <davidsin at pt.lu>

Hi Ron,

For a quickie reply -- I believe the Smithsonian has a CD for sale on
Northumbrian Pipe music, with some of the top players represented ---
and the Morpeth Chantry Bagpipe  Museum will gladly accept orders for
CD's - they have one of the best selections available -- and they have
an anthology as well, from way back including a couple of tracks by Tom
Clough and some by Billy Pigg, THE two names in smallpiping
unfortunately for us both deceased long ago

If you would like further insights on my favourite instrument -- no problem

gotta gooooo-------

Dave Singleton

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Music" 2005.05.24 (07) [E]

Ben Bloomgren wrote:
"Hey, all, I have heard that ancient Germanic music was similar to Celtic
music. This one web site had a midi file of how it would have sounded, and
it sounded exactly like Scottish or Irish music. Is there any truth to
that?"

Like cuisine and games, music and the instruments used to produce it are not
so complicated. Consequently, I am never surprised by similarities between
linguistic and ethnic groups, particularly when you consider that there is
nothing peculiarly Irish about most of the instruments involved in
traditional Irish music (I have been told the uileann pipes are the only
genuinely Irish instrument, but I am no musician so I cannot comment),
although I would have thought the bodhrán at least was particularly Celtic.

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.