LL-L "Orthography" 2005.11.02 (05) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Nov 2 16:50:52 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

02 November 2005 * Volume 05

From: waki <yasuji at amber.plala.or.jp.flexwebhosting.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2005.10.30 (06) [E]

From: Yasuji Waki yasuji at amber.plala.or.jp
Subject: Orhtography

Dear Mike san and Ron san,
As described by Mike san, according Tokyo's general speaking, "u" and the
end of words is not voiced. Maybe it sounds like "ik", but we write "iku",
etc. I was not born in Tokyo, but I pronounce as "ik". Also "i" sound is
often dropped , for example
"rekish" or "reksh". But, before pronoucing "sh" or "k" I believe that I
prepare my mouth to pronounce "i", but not voice. After the world war ll, I
moved to Odawara in Kanagawa Pref.,(7 years old) and finished elementary
school and went the junior high school for two years(14 years old). Then, I
believe that my Japanese is established during my life in Odawara. Of course
there is so-called Odawara-ben (dialect), but there is not any remarkable
difficulty to be understood by so-called Standard Japanese speakers. I have
lieved in Tokyo for longer than 10 years, but when I meet my old friends in
Odawara, maybe I speak standard Japanese slightly influenced by Odawara-ben.
When I speak with someone from Kansai area, I feel that he/she speaks a
little softer and slower than Tokyo's people. Also the intonation is mucu
different from each other.

regards,

Yasuji Waki