LL-L "Ethnonyms" 2005.10.31 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Nov 2 16:57:23 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

02 November 2005 * Volume 07

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Ethnonyms" 2005.11.01 (07) [E]

From: Mark Dreyer
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.10.27 (02) [E]

Dear Pat

Subject: LL-L "Lexicon"

>>Hottentottententententoonstelling
> I've been chuckling at this ... but isn't Khoikhoi the polite and
> considerate term today?

> Yours, killing time while re-installing a crashed GIS system,

You are very likely correct, which is a pity. The usage is more politically
correct than polit! e, which in my book reads 'emotionally dainty on someone
else's behalf'. Fortunately however, Khoikhoi is very nearly a collective
naun for that People, & a proud one. One cannot, for example, say the same
for that other word for the related People 'San'. This word has in default
of a suitable native word (they don't have one for their own kind as a
whole) become the anthropological term for 'bushmen', a name they prefer,
but for politically correct reasons is now avoided. Alas!

Yrs,
Mark
The trouble with "bushman" is that a lot of people who live in the bush
consider themselves to be bushmen, even if they are of pure European origin.
In Australia, bushmen, or "bushies" were almost by definition white; it went
without saying that traditional aborigines knew the bush.

Paul