LL-L "Etymology" 2005.11.03 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Nov 3 20:04:46 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

03 November 2005 * Volume 10

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.11.03 (06) [E]

Dear Johnny:
You said about kwakkelen: It's obviously from the same stem as G:'wackeln',
meaning E:'wobble'.
Vandaar dan ook het Nederlandse woord "wankel" (E wobbly)

I have another one for you, Would Poedelnaakt have to do with the fact that
Poodels get shorn that ridiculous way? ( I like poodles with a natural "do"
much better. They are really neat dogs and very smart ) But that than begs
the question from when does that sort of dog date and from when does the
linguistic usage date.
Anyhow, just something to keep you busy and out of misschief. Jacqueline

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hi, Jacqueline!

What a lovely cool and wet day in our neck of the woods, right?

I totally agree with all you said about poodles.  My cousin in Alberta has
one, and he (Tiny) is uncannily smart, actually planning his pranks
strategically.  I like them too, sans do.  Besides, them having hair instead
of fur makes them suitable for people with pet allergies (c'est petit moi),
like bichons frisees, schnautzers, Kerry blue terriers, fox terriers (my
favorites), and others, also the new breed Schnoodle (schnauzer and poodle
mix that looks incredibly cute and is very smart).

English "poodle" comes from German _Pudel_.  Originally it was called
_Pudelhund_.  It has not been derived from the adjective _pudelig_ (fluffy),
but it's the other way around.  There is another German noun, now rarely
used: _Pudel_, cognate of English "puddle," meaning 'puddle' and also
'ditch' and the like.  Poodles, being water-loving dogs, are fond of
splashing about in such waters, hence _Pudelhund_ "puddle dog," and also
_pudelnass_ 'dripping wet'.  I have a feeling that _pudelnackt_ 'stark
naked' is a later invention on the basis of _pudelnass_, or it could have
something to do with naked kids splashing about in pools and ditches in the
summer.