LL-L "Etymology" 2005.11.03 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 4 00:32:49 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

03 November 2005 * Volume 12

From: Clarkedavid8 at aol.com <Clarkedavid8 at aol.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.11.03 (09) [E/F/LS]

lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET writes:

  In Neddersassisch ook:

  pydel (<Piedel>)
  pytel (<Pietel>)
  pyhaan (<Piehahn>)
  pytaan (<Piethahn>)
  pint (<Pint>)* ->
  Krül (<Krüll>)

  *Schotsch (Scots):
  pintle*
  tadger
  tossle
  whang

  Reinhard/Ron

Not to forget old-fashioned standard English "pizzle"

David Clarke

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Obviously, this occasionally emerging topic is here to stay for a while
longer, and in its context etymological questions are bound to be raised,
lending it an air of legitimacy and politesse.  So we might as well just
move it to "Etymology" and make it properly scientific.

> pintle*

Apparently used in English dialects as well, from Old English _pintel_.  It
appears to be a diminutive form.  Some believe it is derived from "point"
(cf. dialectical _pint_ 'point'), while others link it with "pin."  I favor
the latter, being consistent with the existence of Old Frisian _pint_ ~
_penth_, Danish and Jutish dialectal _pint_ ~ _pintel_, and _pint_ in Low
Saxon, Dutch and some German dialects, all for the same thingy or
thingies.  In fact, some English dialects use _pintle_ also in the sense
of "pin" or "bolt" (usually upright pin acting as hinge or pivot) traceable
in writing back to the 15th century.

> krül (<Krüll>)

Literally, it means 'curl', 'twist', 'swirl', 'kink' or 'wrinkle', and it
appears to be a cognate of metathesized English "curl," the pre-metathesis
English version "crull" now being obsolete, having numerous cognates in
various Germanic language varieties.  I don't quite see the connection here
or may not really *want* to know on a certain level.

BTW, in Hamburg LS, _krül-kringeln_ (<krüllkringeln>, literally
"curl-circling/spinning") means something like 'to behave in an obstinate
manner'.

***
"A litell pyntell and a litell hangynge, smale ballokes"
    (_Master of Games_, 1410)

"Dame, shew me the child here, He must hopp upon my spere, And if it any
pintle beare, I must teach him a play."
     (_Chester Plays_, 1500) [Whatever ...!]

Doctor:
"I can cure the itch, the stitch, the maligrumphs,
the lep, the pip, the roan,
the blaen, the merls, the nerels,
the blaes, the splaes, and the burning pintle."
    (_Christmas Gysarts Play from Bowden_, T.Wilkie, 1815)

"And giffing him thrie straikis with … ane ox pintill"
    (_Sheriff Court Book of Shetland_, 1604) [Ouch!]

"Pishing and pintle shaiking puts of the day."
    (Scots proverb) [There you have it: ancient wisdom!]

"Shut up, ya wee pintle!"
    (less than gentile Scots expression)