LL-L "Seasons" 2005.11.07 (05) [E/LS/S]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 7 21:41:07 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

07 November 2005 * Volume 05

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Seasons" 2005.10.30 (07) [E]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

> On a different but likewise seasonally celebratory note, here's a
> little literary offering: three Low Saxon autumn haiku of mine:
>
>   Vroy in de harvsttyd
>      Daudruppen up 'n spinweb ...
>         Wat voer 'n rare gaav'!
> ***
>   Sypeln ruten an
>      el Día de los Muertos --
>         De suurstofmask sirst
> ***
>   Harvstsün in'n speygel
>      un us vadder syn ogen
>         -- "Raseer dy maal, jung!"
> ***

Well, here are three Scots autumn haiku of mine. I fear they're not
quite as culturally informed as yours, I just do what I can!

blawy day in hairst
    a birlin o yellae leafs
        thinkin lang on life

***

leafs flitterin doun
    ootside a cafe whaur ance
        sat a freend an aa

***

back o hairst
    a ringin frost, but aye
        cut flouers

***

blawy: blowy, windy
hairst: harvest, autumn
birlin: spinning
o: of
yellae: yellow
thinkin lang on: yearning for
flitterin: fluttering
doun: down
whaur ance: where once
freend: friend
an aa: also
(the) back o: just after
ringin frost: a frost so hard it makes the earth ring when you walk on it
aye: always
flouers: flowers

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/
http://www.livejournal.com/users/cochlear_my_eye/

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Seasons

Hey, Sandy!

Thanks. Those are great!  I don't think they are any less "culturally
informed," whatever that is supposed to be.

I feel that especially the second one comes close to the original haiku
_makars'_ intent and Zen Buddhism's essence: awareness of the ephemeral
nature of the physical world (Japanese 浮世 _ukiyo_ "floating world") and
"suffering" (Sanskrit दुःक _duhka_) arising from wanting to cling to or
being preoccupied with (Sanskrit तृष्ण _tŗişhņa_ and उपादान _upādāna_) what
is ephemeral (Japanese homophonous 憂き世 _ukiyo_ "world of sorrows"), despite
brief visions beyond that.

Not that this should be taken as some kind of competition or that they are
any "better," here are some old autumn theme ones of mine, all written in
the Pacific Northwest:

   first drive in the fall --
       high baroque music brightens
       the sun in the birch