LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.07 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 8 08:03:01 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 10 November 2005 * Volume 10

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.07 (06) [E]

For Isaac Davis Re: Finno Ugric speaking peoples,
As far as I know, the speakers of Saami and Lapfinnish are not Germanic
peoples. There origin lies in the North of Russia and further East. There
faces often have a definitely Mongol cast to them, and they are much darker
haired than the picture that we have of a Germanic person. It is the way
some of my Swedish friends distinguished between the Lappish and the Swedish
population of Finland. There are also people in Estonia who speak a related
language. The Hungarian language as it is spoken today is also somewhat
related. It was brought into Hungary by the Magyars in about the tenth
century. Other lowlanders maybe able to set us straight. Jacqueline