LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.09 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Nov 9 16:44:07 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

09 November 2005 * Volume 03

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.02 (10) [E]

Dear Críostóir,

I did find some time to look at your Yola text. It looks quiet
"Fleminglish" to me. Certainly it is just an attempt to try to  find
a possible translation. For me it was a pleasant "spielerei", but
nevertheless, Roslar and Roeselare are not so far away from each other.
This is my homework. You should take it with more than a pinch of
salt i guess.
> From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: Language Varieties
>
> "Burstheoune, Avril 10, 1893
  = Burgstuine (You hardly hear the "g" in my Western Flemish).
"Tuine"  evolved to E: town
I prefer "burg" to "bridge"
> Vourneen Joan,
>
> 'Cham goan hend a sparkeen wough theezil, ing oure yola talk o'
> Baronie Forthe.
'k em/'k en (I have)  'k am (I came) 'k om (I come)
sprake (conversation)       { also ...sparke/sperke (a sparkling) }
'Cham goan hend ='k an goan hen (I will have)
> Fan yartha goane t'yie ons hyme zwae?
Fan = Wan/wen  (When)
goane = goane (to go)
ons =  ons (our)
zwae = zwaai'n = keren (to return)
hyme = heim (home)
t' = tot /to (till)
t'yie ons hyme zwae = till you return to our home
> Gee o gooude riesph to ee ball an Vreedie nyeght an zend up ee
> score ower varty an than drink a heall ing yooure usquebaugh to
> ercha vriend o' livertie.
Geef a goede rispe up een bal  vrijdagnacht en zend up ee'  score
over veêrtig en drink dan ee' heil  in joen  usquebaugh  met elke
vriend  van vrijdom.
baugh = balg (belley)
"rispe" in Flemish is normally an interjunction  for something that
is  passing very quickly.
> Fan thyme yurae be coome w' oul maake a teaoune yn Ballygeary an
> hoave oure Parliament houze thaare.
Van die (dingen) zij'je bekomen (Of those things recovered) wij al
maken een tuine in B. en hebben ons P. hus doar.
E: Recovered of those things, we all (together)make a town  in B.and
have our P. house there.
> 'Cham glaude t'zee ee Redmondites epealtheen aan-anooree yn Dublin.
aan-anoree =>) en andere (and others)
> Thommeen Healy beeth a quiel-laaune, mot av hea goe maake gaaume o'
> thee Chaungher ee lugges an hollybulkaane 'em.
mot av hea  goe maake  = moa oat  hie tgoe moakt ( but if he does
things good)
gaaume  = goame  (We will  )
an = en (and)
'em = hem (him)
> 'Cham youreen baarich an dicke arraugh curthere be zo thyne.
curthere be = korter bij (shorter to.../closer)

> Ich well no leiangh aany valler.
leiangh = lui hang' (being lasy) We say "de luien uuthang' "
> Zo heoll, grien an kin apaa thee.
Zo heoll = zo heil (So Luck on you)

> "An chan, yer vriende, Kealeen Browne."
yer vriende = je vriende' (your friend(s))

Groetjes
Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene (Roeselare)