LL-L "Resources" 2005.11.11 (01) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 11 22:44:32 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 11 November 2005 * Volume 01

From: waki <yasuji at amber.plala.or.jp>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2005.11.09 (04) [E]

From: Yasuji Wakiyasuji at amber.plala.or.jp
Suject: Resources

Dear Roh san,
I have clicked and found that the data of the distribution of the languages
spoken in the USA is very interesting and understand that this countries has
been constructed by the immigrants from many regions of Earth and their
sons/daughters and their heritage including languages is still maintained.
regards,

Yasuji Waki

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Hello, Yasuji-san!

Thanks for letting me know your reaction to that resource.  It *is* very
interesting, isn't it?  It is nice how it lets you customize the searches
and displays.  I have recommended it to people dealing with ethnicity and
language issues regarding public health, and they were delighted about it.

I find only some minor things surprising.  Most of it corroborates my mental
picture.  Of course there is "old immigration" and "new immigration."  For
instance in the case of Russian speakers you get older, established
concentrations in the northeast and the Chicago area, also a strong enclave
in San Francisco, and scatterings throughout Alaska, many of them people on
part-Russian or non-Russian descent, mostly of indigenous parentage.  Then
there is a wave of new arrivals from the former Soviet Unions, and these are
concentrated in New Nork, Boston and on the West Coast (Seattle, San
Francisco, Los Angeles).  (I hear Russian spoken pretty much every day.)  In
this case, the second wave does not seem to follow the first one very much.
New Russian speakers are breaking new ground, going for the assumed
opportunities on the West Coast.  In the case of Scandinavian immigrants,
for instance, newer arrivals seem to go where there are established
Scandinavian concentrations: Minnesota, Washington State (Seattle area), and
parts of the Southwest.  (There is also a fair bit of intermarriage between
these three centers.)  People of Eastern Asian descent live primarily in
Hawaii and on the West Coast (the areas of Seattle, San Francisco and Los
Angeles), and the West Coast has also the greatest concentration of South
Asians. African languages--primarily Amharic and Tigrinya, going by my
observations, have high contrations on the West Coast also, namely in the
areas of Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego.  It is
interesting to note that the distribution of speakers of Hebrew (i.e.,
Israelis) and Arabic is very, very similar.  The Los Angeles area shows up
with high concentrations no matter what language you display.
Concentrations of certain speakers are so great that it is feasible for
language-specific industries to grow, such as entertainment industries,
especially music video production (e.g., Arabic, Farsi, Armenian, South
Asian, Filipino, Chinese and Vietnamese) with a minor concentration of this
in the San Francisco Bay Area (especially Cantonese in Oakland and San
Francisco, and Vietnamese in San José).

A flaw seems to be the omission of Punjabi, which I find to be predominant
among people of South Asian heritage, at least in the areas of Seattle and
San Francisco.  On the other hand, Hindi, Urdu and Gujarathi *are*
considered, and I run into hardly anyone that uses those.  I find that very
peculiar.

It would be useful--not only intellectually but also with regard to
administrative and "targeting" planning--to divide Chinese speakers up into
Mandarin and Cantonese, also into established, Mainland, Taiwan and Hong
Kong, as these tend to be separate communities.  Interestingly, here in the
Seattle area I hear predominantly Mandarin spoken, while in the San
Francisco area Cantonese is so predominant with a high concentration of
monolinguals and near-monolinguals that I, having a place five minutes on
foot from Oakland Chinatown (which I happily frequent) feel the need to beef
up my poor spoken Cantonese.  (A few weeks ago I had a hair cut in
Chinatown, and only the owner and her husband could converse in poor
English. The owner had a bit of Mandarin as well.  The (many) customers knew
only small smatterings of English, none of them any Mandarin.)

Another thing that this resource does not show, and probably wasn't meant to
show, is the distribution of non-American native English speakers, of which
there are many, mostly people from Canada, the UK, Ireland and Australia
(ca. 100.000 Australian citizens in the US and assumedly far more from the
other countries I named).  I run into far more English people in the San
Francisco area than in the Seattle area, and there are a fair few in the
latter.  The highest concentration of Irish people is apparently in the
Boston area.

It would be interesting to use a resource like this to follow developments
and observe in this light the spread of cultural and linguistic impact
manifestations.  East and Southeast Asian influences are quite apparent on
the West Coast already.

Wouldn't it be great to have this sort of resource for other countries or
regions as well?

Best regards,

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L Resources

I bought some books today at the Antwerp Book Fair (Boekenbeurs 1-11 Nov).
Four of them touch topics discussed in this list.

* 1 - Proverbs in 1550-Dutch with translation into English.

Symon Andriessoon, "Duytsche Adagia ofte Spreecwoorden, Antwerp, Heynrick
Alssens, 1550", in facsimile, transcription of the Dutch text and English
translation, 2003, Hilversum, Verloren, ISBN 90-6550-720-5, 334 pp.
25 Euro at the booth of Garant.

A couple of samples

[p. 249] Tis vant verken, die koe is op.
Dat is wanneer gheen hoop meer tot een dinghen en is.
[p. 142] It is pork, the beef is finished.
That is: whenever there is no more hope in a matter.

[p. 254] Tis een vierkant hoerensoon.
Dat is: tis een grof plomp mensch.
[p. 147] He is a four-square son of a whore.
That is: a rough and rude person.

[p. 258] Tsmaect gelijc een outwijf onder den erm.
Dat is wanneer een dinghen noch rueck noch smaeck en heeft.
[p. 151] It tastes like an old woman's armpit.
That is: whenever something has neither smell nor taste.

* 2 - Cor Hoppenbrouwers: De taal van Kempenland, no date,
Eindhoven-Airport, Kempen uitgevers, ISBN 90-74271-86-3, 384 pp.
20.50 Euro at the booth of Garant.

A dictionary of the transition dialects between Brabantish and Limburgish
from the area South -West of Eindhoven (adjacent to the Belgian border)

* 3 - A Dutch manuscript from around 1500 in fac-simile + translitteration.
(from the area of Borgloon, but clearly in Dutch, not in Limburgish, though
I guess with some contamination, as e.g. "willich" in the text below)

Biemans e.a., Het Handschrift-Borgloon (Hs. Amsterdam,
Universiteitsbibliotheek UvA, I A 24 l,m,n), 2000, Hilversum, Verloren,
Middeleeuwse Verzamelschriften uit de Nederlanden vol. V, ISBN
90-6550-030-8, 286 pp.
28 Euro at the booth of Garant.

a sample:
[p. 149]

Een liede kin
Swighet stille lieuer gheselle
En makens ghen gheluyt
Hoe derdi mi vertellen
Dat ghij dus trueren sijt
Ghij soe scoen van woerden
Dat seggic v goet ront
Ic waer wele bat te vreden
Waerdi huesch in uwen mont

Scoen lief moet ic dan swighen
Ende spreken niet en woert
Myn knikens willich boeghen
Voer v alst wael be hoert
Zeer stille soe willich draghen
V liefden int hertte myn
Wat bated wat ic claghe
Druc moet myn eyghen sin.

* 4 - Samples of Dutch-Jiddish (18th century West-Jiddish)

Ariane Zwiers, Kroniek van het Jiddish, Taalkundige aspecten van
Achttiende-eeuws Nederlands Jiddish, 2003, Delt, Eburon, ISBN 90-5166-983-6,
10 + 602 pp,
45 Euro at the booth of Maklu.

with texts in:
- Jiddish in Hebrew charactes
- Jiddish translitterated
- Dutch translation.

a sample (in the 2d and 3d version)

[p.165 Jiddish translitterated / p. 294 Dutch]
1. wegn die brik die ingefaln iz bai die Heregraft ouf doz Keningzplaan.
1. Over de brug die instortte op het Koningplein bij de Herengracht.
3. joum 1 erev rosj choudesj sjvat iz ein zach gesjehn.
3. Zondag, de eerste van de maand Sjvat gebeurde iets
4. doz nit gesjehn iz azou lang az Amsterdam gesjdanden hot
4. dat nog nooi gebeurd was, zolang Amsterdam stond.

[p.261 Jiddish translitterated / p. 335 Dutch]
20. die zelbegeh tsait wahr ein zehr sjwehre harte winter
20. In die tijd was er een zeer strenge winter.
21. es hot begonen tsoe frihren den  janewari
21. Op 8 januari begon het te vriezen
22. for die arme oun' noutbederfge wahr es zehr hart; kein wasr wahr
ongefehr nit tsoe bekomn.
22. Voor de armen en behoeftigen was het heel zwaar; er was ongeveer geen
water te krijgen.

Regards,
Roger