LL-L "Morphology" 2005.11.11 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Nov 12 04:33:11 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 11 November 2005 * Volume 04

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at saxnot.com>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2005.11.11 (02) [E]

Jonny wrote:

> could be I'm on a wear-out tread/path, but I'm still interested in a
> discussion about diminuatives.
>
> I made some thoughts about them, and I couldn't find anything here,
> neither
> in LS nor in English.

In Twente LS we mainly use -ke(n) and sometimes -tje to form diminutives
In English there are diminutives, only not as much as in other
languages. For example: sonny, lassie, doggy, kitty, movies, undies,
etc. Also, English uses -ette, from French. For more, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminutive

> But they are very present in Dutch, in EFLS (East Frisian Low Saxon), an
> in
> the far Eastern varieties (Ostpreussen/East-Prussian)) of LS-relatives.
> And
> in Standard German, of course.
>
> Obviously (and that's my question and interest) it's a clear matter of
> Frankish influences??

I don't think so, but I'm not the expert.

regards,
Henry

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Morphology

Tagchen, Jonny!

> Obviously (and that's my question and interest) it's a clear matter of
> Frankish influences??

I've thought a lot about this myself, and I have come to the conclusion that
it may be impossible to tell, that at best we can speculate.  In any case, I
hardly think that there is any single cause for this.

You need to take into consideration non-Germanic language contacts as well.
In the east you have contacts with Slavonic and Baltic.  Both groups abound
with diminutive forms.  Lithuanian (which belongs to the Baltic group) is
particularly well known for its love of diminutives, already at the Old
Lithuanian stage.  It has numerous choices in expressing deminution; e.g.
brother (brolis) -> brolelis, broliukas, brolytis, brolužis, brolužėlis,
brolutytis, broliukėlis, brolutaitis, etc.  (Doesn't _brolutaitis_ sound
like a disease--*_brolutitis_?)  In the Prussian region--that covers most of
what is now partly in Northern Poland and most of Russian-held
Kaliningrad--Slavonic and Germanic language varieties have Baltic substrates
or influences.  So, the great love of diminutive forms in Eastern Prussia's
Low Saxon and German varieties are more likely than anything to go back to
Baltic, perhaps in conjunction with Slavonic, given long-standing close
contacts between speakers of Low Saxon and Kashubian in what is now Northern
Poland.

At the western end, there are Romance varieties, all of which, too, abound
with diminutive forms, going all the way back to Latin (both Classical and
Vulgar) which uses diminution not only impromptu but also very widely in
creating new lexical items.  Latin and some of its descendants had enormous
influences on the Germanic varieties west of the Rhine.

The Saxon heartland, like Scandinavia, was never occupied by Romans and in
the early days were a long way away from direct influences from Latin.
There were early contacts with Slavonic speakers but never on a massive
scale until colonization of the east beginning in earnest with the 12th
century.  Perhaps relative scarsity of diminution in Low Saxon, and also in
Scandinavian, is due to not having been massively influenced by Romance,
Slavonic and Baltic.

English and Scots, of course, do use diminutives and, generally speaking,
more than does Low Saxon.  Diminutives have been involved in lexical
creation as well (e.g., English "kitten," "kitty" and "panties," Scots
_mannie_, _wifie_ and _kittlin_).  However, it is true that this is hardly
anything compared with what's going on in Low Franconian--especially in
Dutch and, even more so, in Afrikaans.

Tschüßchen!