LL-L "History" 2005.11.12 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Nov 12 21:12:40 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 12 November 2005 * Volume 02

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.11 (03) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>It wasnt Mary Queen of Scots, it was Mary Tudor (first child of Henry VIII

and, for a short time, queen of England) who said that the word Calais was
engraved on her heart, because she lost it to the French.<

Whoops!

I was so fixed on the Dunkirk bit I didn't notice the Queen!!!!!!

Heather

----------

From: Clarkedavid8 at aol.com <Clarkedavid8 at aol.com>

"was it not Mary Queen
of Scots who on her death-bed said, "Dunkirk is written on my heart" <

Actually it was the loss of Calais that she rued to her death."

It wasnt Mary Queen of Scots, it was Mary Tudor (first child of Henry VIII
and, for a short time, queen of England) who said that the word Calais was
engraved on her heart, because she lost it to the French.

David Clarke

In fact, if you think about it, Mary Queen of Scots didnt even have a
death-bed.
The story of the heart of Mary Tudor is actually told wrong in "1066 and all
that", which claims that the word "Callous"  was found to be written on her
heart after her death - when she was queen, she burnt a lot of protestants
and was known (probably not to her face) as "Bloody Mary".

David Clarke