LL-L "Morphology" 2005.11.14 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 14 17:21:37 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

14 November 2005 * Volume 05

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2005.11.13 (03) [E]

Re: dimunitives it may be worth noting that Irish is less productive in this
area than it used be, due in part to English influence via second language
users. Historically the main dimunitive suffixes were -ín, -án and -óg
depending on the district and context. Nowadays one is just as likely to
see -aí which represents a borrowing of English -ie or -y. (In Irish -aí
actually traditionally denotes a plural or the genitive suffix of an
abstract noun.) Dimunitive forms such as Páidí "Paddy" < Pádraig and Séimí
"Shamie" < Séamas are now usual whereas traditional forms would be Páidín
and Séamasín.

At least that is my perception.

Go raibh maith agat

Críostóir.