LL-L "Morphology" 2005.11.15 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 15 16:45:06 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

15 November 2005 * Volume 02

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2005.11.14 (08) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Morphology
>
> Hey, Jonny!
>
> Aren't you just a tad too obsessed with Latin influences?  Do you
> really believe that Latin -- and perhaps Greek as well, and maybe
> Sanskrit -- all the "great" (= written) Indo-European languages --
> were originally the only "complex" ones, and other languages aquired
> "complexity" by way of contacts with these?  Why?!  What would be the
> incentive for that among Germanic peoples outside the Roman sphere at
> a time when they were still using runes, i.e., had not yet adopted the
> Latin script along with Christianity?  Do you really believe that a
> few traders and the odd (= rare) returning mercenary or slave would be
> able to change their native languages back home in such a way?

I thought runes were derived from Latin script? The similarities in the
two writing systems seem undeniable to me.

----------

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Dear Ingmar and Ronny,

> Exactly, and I think the loss of diminution in certain Germanic languages
> is an example of this change from complex to simple.

> Aren't you just a tad too obsessed with Latin influences?  Do you really
> believe that Latin -- and perhaps Greek as well, and maybe Sanskrit -- all
> the "great" (= written) Indo-European languages -- were originally the
> only
> "complex" ones, and other languages aquired "complexity" by way of
> contacts
> with these?

thanks for your lesson in linguistic developments. Your superiority
convinced me, but there are some questions left which I don't understand
yet.

First: why did the old *Celtix Languagex* nearly vanish in the Western
European areas and became widely substituted by the so called
'Vulgar-Latin', the ancestor of modern French? Wasn't it because of the
great regional and tribal diversity of their language, similar to the
Germanic conditions? Just an event of rationality, because it was easier to
find a Lingua Franca than to change all their dialects?

Second: a similar development, but not thus definitely, of course, we watch
in England, with all those well-known ups and downs. It began, too, as the
language of some upper-class parts of the population, the language of the
winners.

Third: Luther and his helper, Gutenberg, created (more or less) and spread a
new kind of language, 'Neuhochdeutsch' = 'Standard German' in the middle of
the 17. century, and it advanced to the dominating written language in a
breathtaking short time.

Fourth: if looking to LS of today you find lots of French vocabulary. Not
all of it, but a great part was adopted in times of French occupation
(1757-1762; 1803-1815). I don't believe it was written down very often, the
words by verbal tradition got access into the native's language and kept
their place till our times.

All these examples show, for my opinion, how fast and irreversably a
language can be influenced, and this made me believe the same could have had
occurred with Latin's dominance over 'minor' languages.

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm