LL-L "Literature" 2005.11.15 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 15 22:16:40 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

15 November 2005 * Volume 06

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2005.11.15 (05) [E]

I don't mean it rude, but this reminds me of some glorification poetry of
the 1230's in certain Central European areas...
Btw: are you aware what "Kuni" means in Dari (Afghanistan) and Farsi?

Ingmar

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Literature

Hi, Ingmar!

> I don't mean it rude, but this reminds me of some glorification poetry of
> the 1230's in certain Central European areas...

I certainly cannot answer for Arthur.  However, I *can* say that I
personally perceive his intent to be to show the unrecorded, imagined human
experience behind scant historical footnotes and to do so in a way that
makes it sound "authentic" (though not misleading), namely in a style in
which the people related experiences and historical events at the time:
through the genre of ballads reflecting ethno-specific beliefs and imagery.
(Ballads of this sort are still very much alive among many Central Asians,
especially Turkic, Monglolic and Tibetan peoples.)  By doing so, Arthur
seems to be taking us back to that time, listening to a Gothic bard or to a
round of singing Goths.  I see this as no less "legitimate" than
historically based novels or plays with injections of old-time language and
style.

>   Dark souls approach to bid us sing
>        Of those few Greuþung who took wing
>   When rains incessant joined two seas
>        And plunged our kingdom under.
>
>   Our valiant flood-folk, stalked by death,
>        Like ravens gyred, in length and breadth,
>   Until they hewed great ships from trees,
>        And sailed through Þor's own thunder.

   The blues, the blues drove us to croon
      'bout all that rain, freakin' monsoon,
   'bout sand and gravel takin' off ...