No subject

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Nov 16 01:28:30 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

15 November 2005 * Volume 09

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2005.11.15 (06) [E]

Ron wrote: "blew the place for good"

Actually sounds a lot like someone driven out of New Orleans by Hurricane
Katrina.  By the way, have you heard the K-Otix take off of Kanye West's
Golddigger?  It's a lamentation in hip-hop style about the Federal
Government's slow response to people in New Orleans after Hurricane K.  I
heartily recommend it.

http://www.k-otix.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=2
<http://www.k-otix.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=2

Mark Brooks

----------

From: Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2005.11.15 (07)[E]

Hoi Leeglanners,

Ingmar schreev,

<This reminds me (my 'Children of the Flood' poem) of some glorification
poetry of the <1230's in certain Central European areas...

Right you are! Except that the 1230s had no monopoly on that type of poetry.
Even before that, Saxon and Anglo-Saxon poetry had lots of time for
extolling the bravery, courage, virtue, or beauty of (1) their people, (2)
their king, or (3) their queen.

Remember the "Hildebrandslied"? No---pardon me, I'm the only one here that
old.

How about the "Not der Nibelungen?" Maybe it stretched the facts a little
("Koning Etzel" was really Attila, although history does not evidence his
moral concerns about not being baptized!).

The poetry of 1330 or even 1430 would have contained some positive
commentaries about fam! ous folks, just ask any Minnesinger, Troubadour or
Trovatore.

The 1830s were more nationalistic than tribal in their Romanticist fervour,
but just watch them fulminate about virtues and vices as well.

As to the 1930s in certain Central European areas, I fear you might have
meant that decade originally when a fateful typo crept in ;-).

Actually, the historical evidence shows pretty much what I described. And
acts of bravery amid horror are the spice of much literature. I can't see
the self-glorification of a people running frightened in circles until they
finally decide on a plan. Sounds more like FEMA to me (in the wake of
Katrina, for example).

Am I generally apologetic about Goths and their history? Only to the extent
that I believe that the general public has received scant and scathing
education about them. Everything in the cosmos experiences c! ause and
effect relationships. And I am talking about events and their consequences,
not glorifications. Goths fled a flood. Then they outgrew their new
settlements because the land was not as rich and plentiful as the one they
were evicted from (floods), yet insisted on breeding at the same rate as
before. So some of them had to leave. They went south, where some Germanic
tribes were already doing business in Baltic amber in Byzantium. There they
settled. Only stuff happened, mostly more exciting than anybody wanted.

Particularly, religious education in Europe has for many centuries
castigated and demonized the Goths for wrecking the Roman Empire gradually
between 250 and 500 A.D. As far as I can tell from the evidence, however,
they didn't do much more killing or dying than did their neighbors. I am
terribly happy I am no longer living in those miserable centuries.

But the Goths left us some lovely things: concepts of f! amily, hard work,
natural beauty, courage, even fairness.

I personally found it easier to write about them in quatrains, quatrameter,
pentameter, and similar, because I like folk songs and have sung them for
decades. The ballad as an art form may seem "glorification" on the surface,
yet there is always a sarcasm, a darker reality underlying the good ones.

<"btw: Are you aware what "kuni" means in Dari (Afghanistan) and Farsi?"

Ingmar, you have eyes like an eagle! I don't know about the
Proto-Indo-European word you are referring to (possibly *gh_e_nho* for
woman, and all her accessories), but the Gothic term _Kuni_ means a people,
or a tribe or similar large group of people joined by genetics, language, or
culture.

Other words in this group include gynos, qvinna, queen, guna, giin, and some
really pedestrian forms not worthy of inclusion here.

In all other respects, I let my Advokaat, Mijnheer Raginhairt Hagen, speak
for me as he so eloquently did earlier today.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Arthur

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Literature

Hello, dear Arthur!

> In all other respects, I let my Advokaat, Mijnheer Raginhairt Hagen,
> speak for me as he so eloquently did earlier today.

What a diabolic thing to say!  But I guess I can have more than one client,
as I don't need to tell you, a seasoned Afkaat (LS) of great stature
yourself.  With the flick of the had I'll exchange my set of little strap-on
horns with my set of little strap-on wings, looking as cute as a button in
either.  ;-)

Carry on!
Reinhard/Ron

P.S.:
> Mijnheer Raginhairt Hagen
Raginheart VAN DEN Hagen, if you don't mind.