LL-L "Litherature" 2005.11.16 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Nov 17 00:28:23 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

16 November 2005 * Volume 05

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2005.11.15 (06) [E]

Dear Arthur & Ron

Subject: Literature

I certainly cannot answer for Arthur.  However, I *can* say that I
personally perceive his intent to be to show the unrecorded, imagined human
experience behind scant historical footnotes and to do so in a way that
makes it sound "authentic" (though not misleading), namely in a style in
which the people related experiences and historical events at the time:
through the genre of ballads reflecting ethno-specific beliefs and imagery.
(Ballads of this sort are still very much alive among many Central Asians,
especially Turkic, Monglolic and Tibetan peoples.)  By doing so, Arthur
seems to be taking us back to that time, listening to a Gothic bard or to a
round of singing Goths.  I see this as no less "legitimate" than
historically based novels or plays with injections of old-time language and
style.

Hear Hear!
Mark