LL-L "Grammar" 2005.11.17 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 18 00:31:32 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

17 November 2005 * Volume 09

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2005.11.17 (06) [E]

Re the difference in syntax between Dutch and English.

Hi Paul, I think The main one is the difference in syntax when there are two
verbs in the sentence and when we work with conjunctions.
          I.e. J'ai mis la pomme sur le plat
         I have put the apple on the plate
               Ik heb de appel op het bord gelegd
   In French and English the action verb immediately follows
the     helper verb. In Dutch ( and in German ) the action verb
moves
         to the end of the sentence

         I saw the boy kissing the girl
               Ik heb de jongen het meisje zien kussen
               not only a difference in syntax but even in tense, plus we do
not have a "grammatical" progressive mode but that is not
from French. In French you would have to say, J'ai vu que le
garcon a embrasse la fille. ( sorry I cannot add the
character accents in this format )

                Il ne peut pas ouvrir la porte
                He cannot open the door
                Hij kan de deur niet openen
               In French and English the action verb follows immediately
after the modal
               In Dutch the action verb moves to the end of the sentence

            Je n'etais pas a l'ecole, parceque j'ai du aller chez le docteur
I was not in school because I had to go to the doctor
            Ik was niet op school omdat ik naar de dokter moest (gaan)
                In French and English the subjugating conjuntion does not
change the syntax of the subjugated sentence. In Dutch both
verbs move to the end of the sentence.

De groeten, Jacqueline