LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.19 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Nov 19 23:32:23 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 19 November 2005 * Volume 02

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.19 (01) [E/Papiamentu]

I think Papiamento "warda" is from Pt/Sp "guardar", Dutch has "wachten" =
to wait, there is no Dutch equivalent *waarden or so for German "warten",
which could have given Pap. "warda". But the resemblance in sound may have
influenced the meaning of this verb.
And Pap. "ènvelop" will be from Dutch envelop(pe) rather than from English.
Another interesting English loan, because it is such a common word, is Pap.
"bèk" from back.
The language name ending in -o is the Arubian, and also the Dutch form.
People from Curaçao and Bonaire say Papiamentu, with the Portuguese
pronunciation. In Dutch it is also called Papiaments, especially by people
from the Dutch Antilles themselves.
What I found paticularly fascinating in Papiamento when I first "met" it,
was to see how much Portuguese stock is still hidden under the Spanish
front, and also how African, how non-Romance, non-European, the grammar is.
The latter is even more so the case in English/Dutch based Sranan Tongo,
but the ressemblance between those two Creoles in grammar, and even in
base vocabulary from Portuguese, is really striking. And that has little
to nothing to do with the facts they were both Dutch Colonies, there were
not so much close contacts between the two linguistically, and the
distance between them is more than a thousand kilometres -over the ocean.

Ingmar

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Thanks for the tweaking, Ingchi, and for the added info.

> The latter is even more so the case in English/Dutch based Sranan Tongo,
> but the ressemblance between those two Creoles in grammar, and even in
> base vocabulary from Portuguese, is really striking. And that has little
> to nothing to do with the facts they were both Dutch Colonies, there were
> not so much close contacts between the two linguistically, and the
> distance between them is more than a thousand kilometres -over the ocean.

Well. I've pondered this sort of phenomenon for quite some time now, have
been waffling with my opinion.  Lately I've come to suspect that distance is
no serious obstacle to spread as long is there is *some* connection.  You
may suspect two main agents:

(1) slaves (or their descendants) or other contact variety speakers
     that relocated to other colonies (which in most cases are colonies
     held by the same power)

(2) slaver traders, slave owners or colonists that relocate or, in the
     case of slaver traders or slave wardens, serve more than one colony.

I am now tending to suspect that in the case of the genesis of pidgins and
creoles too much of the focus has been on the people that ultimately adopted
and developed them.  In other words, I believe we mustn't underestimate the
roles of the (usually European) power elites and their agents in the genesis
of such language varieties.  The "seeds," namely the basic vocabulary and
grammatical structure, of such varieties are quite likely to have been
carried from colony to colony by Europeans (or people of European descent)
with or without the aid of relocated slaves or relocated non-Europeans that
were conversant in another contact variety.

A compelling case is that of the striking lexical and structural
similarities between Oceanian pidgins and creoles, Australian pidgins and
China Coast Pidgin, where you would not expect such similarities to exist
between China Coast Pidgin and the others, at the very least.  We certainly
ought not totally disregard a possible role played by Chinese laborers and
tradesmen that tended to follow European colonists or were actually
transported there by them. However, I believe that the Europeans involved
had a definite role in spreading the seeds for such types of varieties.

As one of my undergraduate research projects in my Southeast Asian minor
degree I compared certain historical developments that led up to the
creation of the Sino-Indigenous ethnicities of British-held Malaya,
Dutch-held Indonesia and the Spanish-held Philippines: the Baba (Chinese),
the Peranakan and the Mestizos respectively.  For this purpose I had to go
through stacks and stacks of relevant 18th- and 19th-century books, letters
and other types of documents in English, Dutch and Spanish, as well as
through mostly 20th-century Asian documents.  (I also had an eye on German
colonization of Papua.)  Of particular interest to me (coming from the
language side of things) were diary-type portions and anything else that
contained direct speech quotes.  It became clear to me that in the "good"
old days of European supremacy (real and imagined) colonists and their
helpers, most of whom had little or no education and little or no incentive
to regard indigenous people as being real human beings (in part to protect
themselves from compassion), either believed that all "Kanakas" anywhere in
the world had one type of "primitive" language, or they believed that
"primitive," "childish" linguae francae were all they deserved or could be
expected to learn.  Lots and lots of descriptions of ethnic "mentalities"
and "characters" (ranging between patronizing and disparaging) lead me to
this conclusion.  In other words, I am suspecting that Europeans taught each
other general types of pidgins and, directly or indirectly, took these from
colony to colony.  Once established, the "native" population developed their
varieties on those fundations and, with the loss of their ancestral
languages adopted them as native languages (thus creating creoles).

I wonder what your and my other Lowlands friends' thoughts on this are.