LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.21 (03) [E/Spanish]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 21 16:49:40 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 21 November 2005 * Volume 03

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.19 (01) [E/Papiamentu]

Re all the talk of Papiamentu:

In light of our recent discussions on language normalisation versus language
revival, it may be instructive to note that whilst Dutch is still the
nominal official language (and the language of instruction in secondary
schools, I believe) in Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao, Papiamentu is the de
facto working language of all three islands. Therefore it represents an
interesting and useful example of language normalisation.

As far as I am aware, the actual language hierarchy of the ABC islands is
Papiamentu first and foremost, then English because of the high volume of
North American tourists passing through the islands (and, as we know, most
Anglophone tourists cannot conceive of having to use any language other than
English), and then lastly Dutch as an auxiliary language for those
(primarily in the civil service) who need to communicate regularly with the
"metropole".

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Go raibh maith agaibh,

Críostóir.