LL-L "Language use" 2005.10.02 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 2 22:56:02 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.OCT.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Thomas Byro <greenherring at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.10.01 (02) [E]

To : All

I don't know what category this would go under but I waned to relate an
amusing incident involving my younger son that illustrates the usefullness
of speaking multiple languages.  My son has begun dating a nice Chinese girl
whom he met about 3 weeks ago.  When they were introduced, he began speaking
to her in Mandarin (which he learned in High School).  He said that she did
a double take like he had never seen before.  Unfortunately, she only speaks
Cantonese but the experience served to break the ice.  I guess even here in
Manhattan it is unusual for a Chinese girl to meet a young white man who
speaks Mandarin.

Tom Byro

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language use

Hi, Jonny!

In my experience, many Chinese assume that a "White" person that knows
Chinese is (1) not anti-Chinese and/or racist and (2) is to some degree at
least proficient in or accepting of Chinese culture and social structure
(especially kinship power distribution), thus has marriage potential.

This is not necessarily to say that the same Chinese people are not racist,
as I have witnessed by local reception of Chinese-speaking "Black" and
Middle Eastern foreigners in China.  My impression is that they consider
"White culture" to be close to "Chinese culture" in hierarchical terms,
"evidenced" by "White" political and technological world domination, and a
common assumption in Asia is that Westerners are rich.

Also, as I had to find out, "white" men in Taiwan (and these days to a
degree also on the Mainland) are often targeted as potential marriage
material, somethimes simply as tickets out of the country.  In most cases
they are targets of go-betweens' matchmaking attempts.  Unless this is what
you want, this can get you into truly embarrassing situations until you
learn to spot the early signs of it, especially flags like "I'll introduce
you to someone you're bound to like" and being invited to homes and finding
yourself "coincidentally" alone with a daughter of the house.

Having said this, I need to add that five guys I know (two Americans, one
Englishman and two Germans) have ended up in long-lasting and apparently
happy marriages this way, even though two of them had stumbled into it like
babes in the woods.  This also applies in the case of an Australian woman I
know.

But, yes, even a little bit of profiency in a language can open doors, at
the very least being taken as a sign of respect.  I would go as far as
saying that this applies worldwide, unless there are major barriers such as
rejection on the basis of "race," nationality or religion.